1. NOTICE: We're currently noticing some EMAIL DELIVERY ISSUES to Outlook and Hotmail email addresses. If you're a new member and don't receive your confirmation email, feel free to reach out to us via the contact link at the bottom right of the page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dizzy from dancing

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by mtnmanfpv, Dec 20, 2016.

1. mtnmanfpv

mtnmanfpv Well-Known Member

I've had successful flights with my Naza V2 controlled 450 quad, no serious crashes w/this one. But now I'm having a problem trying to calibrate via the "naza dance". Everything functions as expected, but after a 360 degree rotation (nose down) with the green led, I consistently get a rapidly flashing red led (calibration failed). I've dbl checked the mounting values in the assistant, dbl checked the wiring and plugs, looked everywhere! Searched youtube for any relevant videos of others with same problem w/out any luck, now I'm really at a loss. I received my FPV gear, and I am anxious to mount and enjoy, but I need to get this calibration issue taken care of first. From everything I've seen, it shouldn't matter if I'm inside or outside for the "dance" should it? Do you think the GPS antenna/compass could be bad? Is this a common error? I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. TIA

2. mtnmanfpv

Well- - - - I had a look at the plug on the TAROT ZXY GPS/compass, and the plug is identical to the Naza. I thought, "What have I got to loose?" so I plugged it in, turned everything on, and got a completely different response. With the Tarot compass, I get 2 yellow flashes from the LED every 1 or 2 seconds. It won't enter calibration mode with switching from man. to gps, but I expect that may be the fact that it's a Tarot compass plugged into a Naza MC. With the Naza compass connected, after powering up I get green and yellow flashes during start up, and then the led settles down to yellow/red flashing. Solid yellow after entering calibration mode, solid green after the horizontal 360, but again, after the vertical 360 it goes to flashing red (calibration failed). I'm seriously suspecting the gps/compass unit of the Naza is at fault. Any thoughts? Ideas?

3. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Did you do the advanced calibration in the tool tabs first with your quad perfectly level?

4. mtnmanfpv

When in the assistant software I get a msg. saying that calibration isn't necessary. I've clicked on the buttons anyway, but nothing happens. I'm going to go back in now and see if I can get that or even the IMU calibration to initiate. I'll let you know what (if anything) happens.

Thanks for the response renov8r.

5. mtnmanfpv

OK, in the TOOLS tab, in the basic cal. window, when I click on cal, I get the msg window saying "no need cal". going to the "advanced" window, I was able to initiate advanced cal. It went through its process and finished. In both the basic and advanced windows, it reads "status = ready". None of this resulted in different outcomes. I'm still seeing error #27, calibration failure, whenever I power up connected to the laptop and assistant software. Curiously, at the bottom of the window where it says MC OUTPUT = OFF. When I power the quad down, it switches to ON. ?????

6. mtnmanfpv

This is stupid!!!! Just checked on Amazon, just the compass unit alone for the Naza V2 priced anywhere from $25.00 to $128.00. can I say STUPID??? I did. Twice!!

7. RENOV8R

8. mtnmanfpv

Does the ublox have the same plug?

9. RENOV8R

10. mtnmanfpv

Thnx for the input. $36 wouldn't be too hard to swallow. I'm thinking I might just pull the Naza and fly the Tarot for a while. See how that does.

11. RENOV8R

I'd stick with the Naza-M. I've got a Tarot system sitting in a box after updating the firmware as it can't be trusted. If you've got the original 1.04 firmware and you trust it then OK, but the easiest way to describe the Tarot fiasco is to post this: This is a copy and paste of the original from the guy who helped Tarot design the ZYX-M. I think he was quite clear in his message hahaha

Do NOT upgrade to 1.4, Do NOT upgrade the GPS puck, Do NOT upgrade the osd

holtneil likes this.
  12. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi Mate my DJI phantom will some times not calibrate , for me its location if I move 6 feet it will calibrate , but your does sound more like a fault , some times it worth looking for a crashed Phantom and pull the naza and the gps units out you may pick up a crashed one for about £20 so your on a winner as the naza with gps in mega pricey as you know and these units can be fitted to any quads or tricopters as a stand alone FCB

RENOV8R likes this.
  13. RENOV8R

Also never try to calibrate inside. Always outside, away from any powerlines, satellite towers. No keys or any other electronic devices in your pocket. Ask me how I know.............

holtneil likes this.
  14. mtnmanfpv

Yeah, I considered location. Now my neighbor thinks I'm crazy watching me do the Naza dance in several locations out in an open field in front of his house. All for naught. No matter where I am, I keep getting that annoying red flashing light.

15. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Yeah it sounds like a fault in the system

16. RENOV8R

I had that problem once and I had mounted the GPS module reversed. The only other thing I can suggest is remove the screws and open up the module and make sure there are no bad solder connections. I've never really heard of this with the Nazas, but it was a pretty common thing for a while with the Tarots for a while. Oh and one other thing - it is possible to plug the GPS into the FC backwards (speaking from experience haha). It fries the GPS instantly

17. mtnmanfpv

Isn't it convenient that all 4 wires from the Tarot GPS puck are black. However, the mini-plug will only plug into the control one way, the four pins are off-set well to one side. I've been walking on eggshells around the Tarot downloads. I believe I want to avoid and "upgrades", but I seem to be in need of a driver. I've got the Tarot installed, and when power is applied appropriate things seem to be happening. But plugging into my laptop and the assistant software, I can't get the assistant to connect with the FC. Only Com. port 5 is available to me, so no choice there. I can click the "connect" button and it will turn into a "disconnect" button, but the connection status in the lower right portion of the assistant remains unconnected. Missing a driver is the only thing I can think of at this point. I'll keep plugging away at it.

18. RENOV8R

There's 2 software versions for the Tarot, 1.01 and 1.5. Don't use the 1.5, you need the 1.01, when you unzip it, the drivers will be there