DarkMax issue help please

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by Scott Faust, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Scott Faust

Scott Faust Member

I recently purchased the quad and have it bound to my receiver. I'm fairly new to quads and setting them up. However, it runs perfectly fine on 3s, but the moment i try and use a 4s battery the motors work and then power down and quad shuts off. From what I seen on youtube and guides i have it setup like most do and I know this quad is suppose to handle 6s batteries. Can anyone help?

2. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

What's the C rating on the 4S batteries you're using?

3. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Basically means burst current.
    But still carried on whatever voltage the battery is. It will drain the battery quicker but delivers more power. = more fun.
    Just Google lipo C rating. It explains it so much more better than me. Lol

4. mozquito1

Sorry I thought you asking what it means. My bad.

5. mozquito1

But I would have thought with 6S compatibility
    Anything below 90C would be safe,
    Especially a 4S. But 6S with say upto a 140C rate may be pushing it with spikes.

6. Rick M

One of the possibilities is that the C rating on his 4S batts is low and when he hits throttle hard the batteries can't deliver the current being asked for. I've seen/heard of cases where that caused a cut-out. Just one thing to consider/eliminate as a possible cause. Since he's a fairly new flyer it's not likely he's punching out that hard, but you never know.

7. Scott Faust

Scott Faust Member

The battery I have is a
    Acehe 4S 14.8V 1300mAh 75C High Rated Lipo Battery.

8. Scott Faust

Scott Faust Member

The first day i owned the quad, i bound my radio to it and took it out back to test it. I did beta flight first and setup fail safe. I flew it first on 3s due to my last quad having a issue with 4s, so figured i would just play it safe. Once i got it off the ground and ran threw the first battery, I figured I would try the 4s. I took off and hovered for about 5 secs and went to do a punch out and the quad flipped head over heels and slammed into the side of my house. i powered it down came inside and played with beta flight thinking maybe I missed something or anything. As i was doing this I powered it up with 4s while plugged into betaflight(props off) and acted like I did a punch out. The motors spun then 1&2 dropped to 1000, 3&4 1500 and they kept going back and forth. So 1&2 would go 1000-1500 then 3&4. I took it off and tried same process with 3s battery with no issues. It flies with no issues on 3s.

9. Rick M

That sounds like an issue with the battery, either connections on two of the cells, or the cells themselves. I assume you don't have a different 4S you can test?

mozquito1 likes this.
  10. mozquito1

What Rick said,try a different 4s.

11. Scott Faust

Scott Faust Member

I will order a new battery and see what happens. Thanks.

12. mozquito1

If it's not that then hey you got another lipo atleast. Good luck.

13. Scott Faust

Scott Faust Member

So I tried a new 4s battery with the same results. Motors stop spinning at full throttle. Sometimes its not the first full throttle but the 3rd of 4th time trying it. Any other ideas?

14. Rick M

Moz, you are much better at this kind of thing than I am, but this sounds like his ESC's aren't handling the amperage being delivered by the battery, maybe?