Dancing quads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by holtneil, Jul 12, 2018.

1. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

2. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

Kind of like "water ballet" ....ugghhh.
    After 3 mins.......ho hummm.
    But technologically very interesting.
    Will be in the next Summer Olympics.

Phantom.........go get me a beer:rolleyes:

3. Tentoes

Tentoes Well-Known Member

Pretty cool. As a techie, I have to figure out how it works. These are gps drones?

ArmyVet likes this.
  4. wafflejock

wafflejock Active Member

It is interesting from a control and collision avoidance perspective for sure. Unfortunately the company behind it doesn't really reveal any details https://dronisos.fr/know-how/ Would guess they are just using an IMU to predict changes but might be more computer vision going on with all the video data being streamed to a control machine that does the heavy computation and sends it back out to the quads. Only way I've really seen this done otherwise is using IR markers on the quads and an array of cameras in a room to track the position of all of them with high accuracy. I don't think GPS would work in an indoor facility like that (they could use bluetooth beacons but I don't think those give you the kind of resolution of position you'd need).

Skydio makes a standalone quad that can do live object detection and avoidance as well as tracking a target and predicting its path to follow a person or other moving object: https://www.skydio.com/ comes at a serious cost but has 12 or 13 cameras in it and an nvidia GPU for doing all the processing on board.

ArmyVet likes this.
  5. Tentoes

I figure they're using the GPS to know where they are and hold the position, and something is telling them where to be and where to move.

Or maybe it's all smoke and mirrors.

ArmyVet likes this.
  6. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

I am assuming the technology is the same as the recent wave of "drone"fireworks"
    Even the military got involved. All computer controlled centrally.
    [​IMG]

7. mdm

mdm Member

Take it outside guys. The internet doesn't cause ignorance but it very effective at documenting it.

On topic - I get a real kick at what folks are doing with these machines. I remember years ago trying to fly in formation with just one other RC plane. What a disaster that was.

wafflejock and ArmyVet like this.
  8. Tentoes

"On topic - I get a real kick at what folks are doing with these machines. I remember years ago trying to fly in formation with just one other RC plane. What a disaster that was. "

Yea, I tried that a few times. I really admire pilots who fly in formation. I think in R/C, the problem is you don't really know where you are with respect to the other plane and you can't fly straight and level very long without getting out of sight.

ArmyVet likes this.
  9. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Guys I think the clue is the marks on the floor about 6 years back KDS who make CP helicopters had a system that would looks the ground and keep the heli in a hover over that spot ,6 years on we have this good work guys

wafflejock and ArmyVet like this.
  10. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Never tried flying in formation, but I used to love dogfighting with RC planes ... we'd drag streamers and you tried to chew their's off with your prop :p

holtneil and ArmyVet like this.