component compatibility and choosing FC/transmitter

Discussion in 'First Build' started by NoFlyAways, Aug 12, 2017.

1. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Hello! I've got the addiction! Just got started with an MJX Bugs 2w and want a better fpv option with 5.8ghz with goggles. Hoping to build a smaller maybe 125-150mm?? size quad to rip around on my property with. I have watched several videos and read for days, but am new to this and not sure where to find which FC I should use for what I need. Seeing that Naze is a bit older and should look for the newer tech in I believe the spf3 board. I am looking into the FlySky fs-i6x to get me started and possible Eachine vr-007 or vrd2 goggles. Kind of based my starting build off the one on UAVfutures channel on youtube for a $99 build. Question is can the FlySky run Betaflight, and which would be the best FC and PDB for a first build? I don't even need a 3s build because I don't need quite that much speed to get started and also will a FC be capable of Acro and easier flight modes to work into Acro? As you may notice, I did choose some more affordable options to start with as I don't want to get carried away for the first build, but may be able to upgrade in the future plus I'm on a bit of a budget right now. Much appreciate any suggestions or where to look to find the information that might clarify things for me!

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Summer's over, where's my thumbless gloves

If you want to run betaflight why not try the omnibus f3 mini with betaflight3 built in osd & 5v bec. Or look up the Piko.

3. mozquito1

Betaflight omnibus F4.

4. mozquito1

5. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Thanks for the reply! I really have no knowledge about the PCB or FC boards as well as Betaflight. I've just seen where most people seem to run that? I did also see an AIO FC/PCB. Are they any good, or easier for a first build? I'm also unsure what motors or ESC I need to look into for a mild build. 2s possibly? I just don't know where to look for the info. Could you suggest anywhere I might find some info? Thanks and sorry for any stupid questions.

6. mozquito1

They are easier to build but if anything goes it's dead weight. It's just my preference but I would only buy a pcb/fc
    If one esc dies the rest may aswell.
    I would only buy AIO if I was actually doing races For weight. Unless you got money to burn. Stuck with separates. Easier & less costly to fix.
    There are not many if any micro AIO anyway. They all on the 35mm boards. BT I have seen 4in1 micro esc which are 6-10amp but that's about it.

7. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Ok, thanks. I had thought of that, but was admittedly just trying to make it as easy as possible for my first build. I guess if I don't do well on my soldering with a AIO, it'll just cost more to replace what I screw up. Lol. You mentioned if one ESC dies. Does that mean you wouldn't get a 4-in-1 ESC either? I just thought most of the small size like that were 4-in-1? Also, said the FC and PCB are on 35mm boards. Forgive me, but what size board would I need for a 125-150mm build? Would a brand new builder like myself be able to navigate through Betaflight to get everything set up? I did also see a Betaflight cm app? Would that be a stand alone program for use instead of the PC version, or would I need both? Thank you very much for your help. I am really just trying to understand this a little before I start my build.

8. rosco11

rosco11 Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend the Flycolor tower. It comes with pdb, F3 controller, and esc. All you need to do is solder on the motor wires. After that, you only have the video equipment. Makes for a very tight build for small quads and is plug and play. The parts separately would cost you as much and then you would have to do a lot of soldering and have a bunch of wires to deal with.

btw, F3 and F4 ARE naze controllers. Just the latest and greatest. Betaflight, baseflight, cleanflight, raceflight...all the same program with different interface. Minor variations in each.

The AIO stacks coming out now are cheaper than buying the components individually, are easier to set up and have more features. It is the only way to go. There is a baseflight f3 controller that is perfect for racing, but more than you need to spend.

Forget 2s. Go to 3s at the very least. you will grow out of 2s in less time than it took you to build the quad.

Honestly, i would spend some money on the goggles right from the start. You will eventually want them and everything you buy up until that point will be wasted money. Spend the extra 150 to 200 from the start. The rest really does not matter. Not even the quad. you will go through several in the first couple years anyway. But the goggles will stick through all of them.

NoFlyAways likes this.
  9. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Thanks for the reply Rosco11!!! I'll check into that tower. Would definitely be an easier first build. I actually just installed Betaflight on my Mac. If I go 3s, I can still set the quad up to be a bit more docile until I get used to it, correct? What goggles do you use, and what are the most reasonably priced goggles you would suggest to someone? Fatshark teleporters?

10. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

I looked the tower up. It says receiver protocols it supports. Is Flysky one of them? Not sure if Flysky is SBUS or PPM or what. I'm totally new to anything more than bind n fly setups. It also says its for 170mm and up frames. Will it work on like a 125-150mm frame?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  11. mozquito1

If the 4in1 is cheap yes but. For 130+ drones the pocket rocket 20a is small enough. & I can vouch for the quality. Been running them for 10 months on 4 kwads. Only one has bust. That was due to a crash & knocked a few fet's off.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    NoFlyAways likes this.
  12. mozquito1

IMG_20170121_225526664_HDR-1024x575.jpg
    This is a 180 frame & the esc's are tiny.
    Flysky is pwm, ppm, sbus & ibus.
    If you get a 4in1 & an esc goes you can't do anything with other 3. I would only use for racing, cutting weight. You don't need that yet.

NoFlyAways likes this.
  13. mozquito1

If the frames have 35mm mounting holes.
    Just be careful the frame can take it as in height. You may need bigger stand offs.

NoFlyAways likes this.
  14. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Thanks! I appreciate your help and advice.

mozquito1 likes this.
  15. mozquito1

Your welcome. Good luck. 3S is docile but very easy to fly on. After 4 or 5 Lipo's try a 4s. it is faster but with that speed comes more control, I think anyway.
    I bought a shed load of 3s used em for about 3 months & then got a 4s to try.
    I was gutted I had wasted my money on 3s. Well not wasted but it wasn't that big a jump. this 4s 800mah will get me about 3 minutes of fun @ about 90mph. It's only a line of sight flyer but it's fun. Every time I go the park or some place I get ppl asking. So I pull my worst kwad out & give em a go. I must have built about 9 of em for ppl.
    IMG_20170624_182357773-1024x575.jpg

NoFlyAways likes this.
  16. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Would be able to recommend any of the cheaper fpv goggles? Also, is the Flysky fs-i6x a decent transmitter to start with? I want one of those quads so bad! Lol

17. mozquito1

I bought the i6 to learn on & I'm still using it after nearly 2years. It's decent kit for the price. Be careful with goggles.
    Get your ipd measured properly.
    I just bought some orange skyzones 01S.
    The ipd was too small aswell as it was white plastic sprayed. The light leakage is awful. I don't know if they were genuine or not but skyzones are black then painted orange I would have thought.
    I knew my ipd was 71but thought aah what's 2mm.well it's enough to spoil it.
    If your ipd is 68 or lower you will be OK. You could mod them but your voiding warranty. I have got the EV800 which I had to fix the rx sma coz I crashed into my head & ripped the antenna off. Lol. I fixed it sort of but the range isn't what it was. & it wasn't that good. So this week I'm ordering the immersionRC duo5800 diversity & some old quanum V2's.
    All new for less than 150. So beware & do the homework. Try to only buy genuine fcb's, none of this cloned poop from China. o_O

NoFlyAways likes this.
  18. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

What's the immersionRC duo 5800diversity? Is that the vtx that goes on the quad?

19. mozquito1

No it's a diversity receiver.
    2 rx in 1. Works with any Tx you put on the quad. It just pick the best signal out of the 2. You can get them with 6 rx for 360°
    Coverage. You use an omni directional like a clover and a helical or just 2 clover
    Or 2 helicals. The same that's in goggles only it's in its own unit. I heard they are better than what's in goggles.

NoFlyAways likes this.
  20. NoFlyAways

NoFlyAways Member

Yep, I looked them up. Thanks. So its just like adding diversity on goggles that didn't have it? Is that something you wear attached to the goggles then?