Charging LiPo batteries

Discussion in 'Parts & Components' started by flyroycie, Dec 31, 2016.

1. flyroycie

flyroycie New Member

Hey there, very new to this and a bit confused. We purchased an XK Alien x250 quadcopter, which came with 3.7v 780mAh LiPo batteries (20C) as well as the usb charging cable, but no dedicated 240v wall charger. From reviews I've seen this is pretty standard, but can I use any usb/240v such as a smartphone charger, or do I need to use a dedicated charger to avoid overpowering the batteries? Ideas appreciated (can't contact supplier for a few days!).

2. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

That is the charger, that is what senses and determines what the proper voltage to charge at (~4.2v) and when to terminate the charge (battery full.)

The charging circuit is actually in the phone. The 'smartphone charger' is basically just a power supply. Any USB output (~5V) wall adapter should work with your XK usb charging cable. My LG phone 'charger' outputs 5.1V @ .7A.

flyroycie likes this.
  3. flyroycie

flyroycie New Member

Thanks Jackson, that is very helpful. The output of the wall adaptive fast charger is 5V 2.0A or 9V 1.67A.
    If the charging terminates after the battery is full, does it not become a problem if the power remains on after that point? without any led indicator, it is difficult to determine if the charge has finished.

4. Jackson

So the charger that came with the quad has no light?

5. flyroycie

flyroycie New Member

Actually, as it turns out, it does have a red indicator, the one for the fpv monitor does not. The indicator does not light up red while charging, nor does it turn green when charged. We have seen it red, however it seems inconsistent. Maybe it lights up red only when it is fully charged? We have been cautious not to overcharge it, so maybe we haven't been fully charging?

6. Jackson

Some do that, keep it plugged in, unless it's defective it won't overcharge.

7. flyroycie

flyroycie New Member

Thanjs that's been very helpful. Much appreciated.

8. Jackson

You may as well get an inexpensive multimeter, it helps to check your voltages (and more). It doesn't need to be fancy.

9. fpvince

fpvince New Member

Agreed with Jackson, I bought a SkyRC B6 it was really affordable and it lets me charge all kinds of batteries. Plus you can use a parallel board and charge multiple batteries at the same time.