Building my first quad, need your opinions.

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by tolisn, Jun 7, 2018.

1. tolisn

tolisn New Member

Hi Everybody
    This will be my first build on a quad copter and I'm trying to read as much as I can and figure out what will be required. First I'll try to lay out the specs that I have in my mind and we will take it from there.
    I will be using the quad for non-professional aerial photography and photos. It will eventually receive a 2 or 3 axis gimbal and a go-pro clone. Other functions I would like to have is mission planning, follow me, Return to home so I presume that a GPS system will be required. Also a flight time of about 15-20 minutes would be great.

I already have the following parts.
    1. 330 frame

2. APM2.6 flight controller with GPS and telemetry

Taking into account the above I would like your opinions regarding the required motors, ESC and battery that would be suitable.

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

3. tolisn

tolisn New Member

Hi and thanks for the reply
    what is your opinion for these motors?
    Emax-XA2212 - 1400KV-Brushless-Motor
    I'm asking because I can get these locally.

4. RENOV8R

Those would work and are low enough kv that you could use 10" props and get a little extra flight time (that is if 10" props will fit on your frame

5. tolisn

tolisn New Member

Well I doubt if 10" would fit on a 330 frame. I think the max would be around 8".
    Considering the two motors and the 8" props, which would you conceder more ?

6. RENOV8R

7. tolisn

tolisn New Member

well we started out at 1400KV and ended up at 2000kv. Apart from price, which one is better for a 330 frame aerial photography drone and why? Sorry for all the question but I'm trying to learn the logic around this.

8. RENOV8R

Think of kv as gears in a manual transmission. 1400 is low gear so more torque and less top-end.
    Ecalc is a great tool for testing different components, their compatibility, flight times, etc
    https://ecalc.ch/