Building my first quad, need your opinions.

Discussion in 'Newb Guides' started by tolisn, Jun 7, 2018.

1. tolisn

tolisn Member

Hi Everybody
    This will be my first build on a quad copter and I'm trying to read as much as I can and figure out what will be required. First I'll try to lay out the specs that I have in my mind and we will take it from there.
    I will be using the quad for non-professional aerial photography and photos. It will eventually receive a 2 or 3 axis gimbal and a go-pro clone. Other functions I would like to have is mission planning, follow me, Return to home so I presume that a GPS system will be required. Also a flight time of about 15-20 minutes would be great.

I already have the following parts.
    1. 330 frame

2. APM2.6 flight controller with GPS and telemetry

Taking into account the above I would like your opinions regarding the required motors, ESC and battery that would be suitable.

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

3. tolisn

tolisn Member

Hi and thanks for the reply
    what is your opinion for these motors?
    Emax-XA2212 - 1400KV-Brushless-Motor
    I'm asking because I can get these locally.

4. RENOV8R

Those would work and are low enough kv that you could use 10" props and get a little extra flight time (that is if 10" props will fit on your frame

5. tolisn

tolisn Member

Well I doubt if 10" would fit on a 330 frame. I think the max would be around 8".
    Considering the two motors and the 8" props, which would you conceder more ?

6. RENOV8R

7. tolisn

tolisn Member

well we started out at 1400KV and ended up at 2000kv. Apart from price, which one is better for a 330 frame aerial photography drone and why? Sorry for all the question but I'm trying to learn the logic around this.

8. RENOV8R

Think of kv as gears in a manual transmission. 1400 is low gear so more torque and less top-end.
    Ecalc is a great tool for testing different components, their compatibility, flight times, etc
    https://ecalc.ch/