Birthday Drone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rod Bishop, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

My wife bought me a quad drone last week and The drone flies great but my Iphone is a 4. ITunes will not download any drone flight programs because they say I nee a iphone 4s or above.
    I only bought the Iphone4 a few years ago for the video camera, not for data or text. I also have a iphone 3 that I bought years ago again for the camera instead of using the classic bulky camera.

I'm looking for a used iphone 5 or 6 to get the ios 8 or 9 that iTunes says I must have to get any flight program. So I'm waiting, but I'm flying.

Help me on this question. If the quadcopter I have is sending out a wifi signal looking for any iphone, shouldn't my iphone 3 or 4 at least see the wifi signal coming from it?
    So far I can't see it on my iphone's wifi setup. Shouldn't my iphone pick up a wifi signal even though I cannot connect to it?

Thanks

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

I'm stumped on that one, sorry I don't use I phones never have.
    But you would think so.
    My last phone had OTG settings but I bought a new phone put the otg cable in & it doesn't work. You would think all new phones on sale in the last year would have this feature.
    I doesn't even detect the USB plugged in so maybe in your case it's a different WiFi signal. Maybe it's a different mhz.
    The drone is probably a faster speed than an old IPhone, and that's the problem.
    You got a tablet or a PC you could download the app onto.

3. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

I tried using my wife's Surface in tablet mode, but I'm promped, not for this device.

I have 30 days to return the quadcopter but I'm afraid if something wrong with the cameras output I'm stuck with a dead transmitting wifi copter.

I'm looking on ebay for a 5 or 6 iphone cheap just to play with the quadcopter, not to use as a phone.
    I'm a retired AT&T technician and I don't want dialtone or data at my fingertips anymore.

4. ArmyVet

ArmyVet Well-Known Member

What kind of quad??? Maybe using 5 GHZ band??

Consider Android??

I use a Amazon Fire 8" tablet on my Phantom 3S. Works like a charm. (except no GPS so no follow me mode. Dont care)

Refurbished $50,

Good Luck...............ex AT&T here also. :D Among other things haha

mozquito1 likes this.
  5. mozquito1

6. mozquito1

Well that went to §hito_O
    Yep you need a 5ghz vrx

7. mozquito1

You could get a cheap box goggle set or 2nd hand goggles for less than an iPhone & they will do if you ever upgrade to Not a toy.

8. mozquito1

Yep it's a 5ghz vtx

9. ArmyVet

Roger that......Robin:D

mozquito1 likes this.
  10. mozquito1

Where ?
    I'll roger any bird me :D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  11. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

Well, I found a iphone 4s on ebay for $20. The seller says the condition is not excellent, but good. It's from Florida and will be here next week. The seller says everything on the iphone 4s works. My hope is what they said is true that the 4s has the updated ios that I need to download before I can download a quad-copter flight software.
    The quad-copter cost about $100, plus the $20 with free shipping from ebay, I hope I'm not throwing my money down the toilet.

If it everything works I'll post the results. If not, I'll take a photo of the quad-copter flying into the bayou behind my house.

ArmyVet likes this.
  12. ArmyVet

Good luck.

You Apple people are tuff! :)

13. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

The new pre-owned Iphone 4s can in today, and of course it was "battery dead." But it looks like it's in excellent condition.

I've got on charge now and will try to download the updated IOS my iphone 4 could not handle.
    I trusted the many people who claim to own a iphone 4s, and updated the 4s to the IOS 8 version, so I bought another iphone I didn't need.
    If it upgrades I'll post the results, Thanks guys

14. mozquito1

Maybe wrong, I hope not for your sake but I'm sure it said it was from 5 up that only had 5.8ghz compatibility.
    Good luck a way.

15. mozquito1

Should be called apple$
    It's all money with them.
    I had one years ago & preffered android alot more after the screen broke in my pocket.
    Said I never paying that much for a phone again. I loved my last phone moto g.
    Had it 7 years. Sorry I had to get rid. Slowing down & the lipo was non replacement. Without paying out.
    This piece o crap I just got now, she can have when I get a new job.

ArmyVet likes this.
  16. Rod Bishop

Rod Bishop Member

I got the iphone 4s battery fully charged, the drone battery is fully charged, the flying app installed.

I get a wifi signal from the Quadcopter in my wifi setting. I touch the flight program on the iphone, the app begins to play but stops just before the camera comes on or the camera does not work.

Is there a hi-tech test one can make to check out the cameras operation besides the receiver on the iphone.
    Everything else works, lights, action, but no camera.

Does the camera need the quadcopter running? Is there a simple app to test a camera output alone?

17. mozquito1

You test the camera out on a TV's a/v inputs.
    Would mean splicing a longer signal wire to a plug. but as for the phone unless you got somthing to send a 5.8ghz signal over WiFi you can't. What drone is it?