betaflight will not launch (it worked before)

Discussion in 'Build & Tune' started by kevino, Aug 5, 2018.

1. kevino

kevino Member

Hello,

For some reason betaflight will no longer launch for me in the google chrome apps. I have tried uninstalling both betaflight(removing) and chrome and it still won't launch. Is this common? If it helps I'm using windows vista which I know is super old but it always launched betaflight just fine before. What the heck? anyone else experience this? thanks !!!

2. wafflejock

wafflejock Well-Known Member

I believe be chrome is cutting out the apps thing so you need to download the standalone version of betaflight. I think it still uses chrome under the hood for the UI but is packaged as a standalone app. Give the new download a shot and see if it works for you.

3. kevino

kevino Member

Thank you for your reply, it looks like you are right, it must be related to chrome. The funny thing is with using Vista it worked right up until a week ago....weird. I tried downloading the stand-alone version of betaflight config and it looks like it doesn't work with Vista.....so I guess I need a whole new operating system just to tune a new quad build.....sometimes this hobby is more work than fun ugh

Jackson likes this.
  4. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

You will have to download the standalone from github.
    Extract the zip file then save to driveC

5. mozquito1

For me the chrome app hasn't worked for a few months now.
    Download blheli config while there if not got it.

6. kevino

kevino Member

Thank you, I tried downloading the stand alone version but I'm still running windows vista which it looks like is unsupported. So I guess I'll finally make the "upgrade" to another crappy version of windows

7. mozquito1

I thought I was bad on windows 8.1.
    Should work as long as it's 32bit or more.

8. mozquito1

I just googled it & they dropped XP & vista. I bought my tower from ebay for £30 as it was only for betaflight.
    Bargain. Graphics card is a potato but it works.

9. kevino

kevino Member

"Graphics card is a potato" haha that's hilarious. Well as far as I can tell betaflight standalone config supports windows 7, and I found a reputable company selling windows 7 for a very good price so I think I'll try installing and go from there. Thank you

10. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Well Vista was the crappiest.

Do you got some room on your HDD? There are many windows like, free Linux builds out there that use a minimum of space, and can be setup for dual boot, while keeping Vista intact.

https://www.linuxmint.com/

wafflejock likes this.
  11. wafflejock

You could probably even install from a "live" environment just booting off a linux USB boot/install flash drive if you don't want to deal with configuring dual boot.

Jackson likes this.
  12. kevino

kevino Member

well I have zero experience with Linux so I'm not too confident in my abilities. Obviously vista is crazy old so this just gives me incentive to "upgrade" it. I meant to a long time ago but it just keeps on working...this betaflight situation was the first time I ran into something I couldn't get to work. Jackson in the video you shared the download is betaflight standalone 10.0.0 and is a zip file. Currently there is a version 10.3.1 with an executable install file instead of a zip. Do you recommend using the latest? Thank you all so much

13. wafflejock

You likely want to just use the latest they are pretty much always improving the firmware and in some cases the betaflight firmware isn't compatible anymore with old versions of the UI.

Regarding Linux with mint or Ubuntu it's pretty much no experience required. Hardest part will be setting up the USB bootable but follow any of the getting started guides on their respective sites and should be good. Once you make the flash drive you just reboot the computer and hit the button for boot options, usually F12 or F10 or F2 and select to boot from flash drive instead of HDD. Ubuntu or Mint both have nice default desktop environments and come with at least Firefox preinstalled and chrome or other installs are pretty painless (even easier in many cases once you learn to install things with the terminal)

14. mozquito1

Just get the cheapest Windows 8 tower you can off ebay.

15. kevino

kevino Member

ok, I did look up a quick guide to booting Linux on a USB maybe I will look into it....I don't have a big enough flash drive but it does look easy, thank you for the suggestion.

16. wafflejock

Regarding Windows 8 believe they aren't going to be putting out anything but critical security patches for Win 8 unless you are education or enterprise user https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet I use Win 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 on my desktop dual boot so I can use Win for games but if you aren't a PC gamer then a modern linux desktop is typically good enough and free (would just make a backup of your data and ideally install on a fresh hard drive or clone the drive, clonezilla works for cloning an entire HDD to an image and back but there is a bit of a learning curve stepping through the menus). Again alternative to full install on a hdd you can just run the live environment and I think can install betaflight and run it from there.

17. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

And it's hard to believe how little, memory, CPU and overall resources some distros need. Old computers can live again.

Got any old junkers sitting around?

Here's the requirements for LXDE.

LXDE specstled.png

18. kevino

kevino Member

FYI I did an upgrade to windows 7 and got betaflight to work with the stand-alone version. Thank you again for all the help. When I have some time I'm going to look into all your suggestions with running a bootable version of Linux I can definitely see a lot of benefits to having that option

wafflejock likes this.