batteries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kent Jefferson, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Does the syma X5C - take the same battery as the X5SC?

2. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Yes. Can alter the battery compartment to accept a bit bigger battery.

3. mozquito1

Both would fit but if you want a decent battery IMHO buy one of these for decent flight time & battery life. Turnigy nano 750mah 3.7v. Looks nice & snug aswell. 41iP24Hf63L._SX300_-1024x683.jpg

Kent Jefferson likes this.
  4. mozquito1

Could possibly go a bit bigger if you get the size right or strap it on. Maybe an 850mah 900m.

5. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

My idea for attaching larger batteries to a quad whose battery compartment is too small for the larger battery (same voltage and mAhs) is to Velcro the larger battery to the bottom of the quad in the same vicinity as where battery compartment is would not compromise the flight characteristics of the quad too greatly. This does not mean velcroing a lawn tractor battery to the quad, which would greatly impact it's flight characteristics.

KentA and Kent Jefferson like this.
  7. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

If it's the (same voltage and mAhs) - why would I want to attach a larger battery?

:rolleyes: ... Ideally you wouldn't, but there are times when you might find a deal that's too good to pass up for replacements that might not be the same dimensions as the OEM battery ... been there, done that ... you can usually go up in mAh without much concern, but upping voltages is dangerous (especially with "toy grade" quads. IMHO doubling the mAh rating (as seen in your pics) is well worth the trade-off of having to strap it on the outside instead of being tucked away neatly in the battery bay compartment, especially when you consider how running a camera saps battery life and reduces flight times even further from the original measly 600 mAh. ;)
    Do keep an eye on the motors though, because they can overheat with longer than normal flight times which (especially with those cheap little motors) will shorten their life span.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    mozquito1 and Kent Jefferson like this.
  8. Flora

Flora Member Merchant

yes , you can use 600mah 3.7v for that

9. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

I've used batteries up to 85o mah in the X5's and was still gaining flight time. Some guys are saying they're using 1000 and 12000 mah, but I haven't tried these to say at what point the extra weight will stop giving you more flight time.

mozquito1 and Kent Jefferson like this.
  10. Do the 850's, fit into the battery box on the X5C?

11. mozquito1

The turnigy nano 750mah, do unless it's the same or smaller, no. But plenty of space for alterations.

12. Rick M

I've used 720mah in the X5C but now that I think of it, the 850's were in an SC which has a slightly different shell. I haven't tried them in an X5C.

13. LoneRCRanger

LoneRCRanger Well-Known Member

Ok, yes, a battery with greater mAh without changing the voltage will extend flight time. My original idea is due to the fact that the generic batteries do not necessarily fit the battery compartment. I refer to my Hubsan X4. It came with one OEM battery. I purchased 5 additional batteries all from Amazon each with specification that they would fit the X4. They did not. They are too long and thicker than the OEM battery. So to compensate for the oversized batteries, I decided to Velcro the oversized battery to the bottom of the X4. This worked and did not change the flight characteristics too much. Any port in a storm...

14. Rick M

Remember that as you go larger on the battery capacity, you will at some point reach the point of diminishing returns, where the extra weight overcomes the extra capacity and you begin losing flight time instead of gaining more. No one can tell you where that will happen with any given quad, except by experimenting. I know with an X5, the 850mah batteries do give you more flight time than the 720mah, because I have used both. The next jump would be to 1000mah, and that I haven't tested. This was with an X5SC.

Kent Jefferson and Gyro Doctor like this.
  15. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Yes, that is true. You can't just go crazy with mAh ratings expecting to keep stretching flight times, because there comes the point where you hit a limit.
    Also it's important to understand that increasing flight time by using higher ratings carries with it a two-fold stress being induced to the motors.
    One, the motors aren't designed to run for too extended periods of time because they need a "rest" between flights to cool down. Two, the motors aren't designed to carry loads much beyond the weight of the quad and camera attachments. As the battery weights are increased so are the motor's stresses
    being increased by carrying that weight. Both of these factors can contribute to accelerating the decline of the useful lifespan of the motors. ;)

Kent Jefferson and Rick M like this.
  16. I've decided to try a 750mah, rather than the 1200mah. Walmart has a 5 pack with a charger, for $14.45. Can't beat that.

17. Rick M

No, and honestly I don't get the endless search for a little bit longer flight times. You should get somewhere around 8-9 minutes on an X5C with a 750mah battery. I'm not sure how much a another minute or two would be worth to me, personally. Have fun flying it!

18. "I don't get the endless search for a little bit longer flight times" Really! Folks are putting bigger batteries, Range antennas, building lighter weight gimbals, etc, all - so they can enjoy the pleasurable experience, of extended flight times. I've even seen people drilling holes in the airframe, to achieve a minute or two. :)

19. mozquito1

More battery power gives further range also.