Another noob

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Islandhog, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Aloha from Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just started flying, well trying to between crashing. Bought a Dromida Vista and a Blade Inductrix from the local hobby store. They carry all the parts I need for repairs, been through some already and I do have spares cause I'll need it. I figured these will be good to learn, I want to fly line of sight without auto pilot. Once I feel more confident I'll replace the Vista with something else, perhaps a cheap fpv racer.

I joined this forum after browsing, there's a lot of info and knowledge from experienced pilots that can help a noob like myself. Thank you all for taking the time posting beginner stuff, I need it.

KentA likes this.
  2. holtneil

holtneil Well-Known Member Moderator

Hi welcome to the forum we all crash when we start out and if you do go fpv racer your crash a lot more the guys normally have bags of props as these break a lot

3. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Welcome. Crashing is part of learning. :)

4. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

Welcome to the forum! What they said.... :D

5. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Thanks guys. Not sure where this will take me.

Those racers look cool and the cows to clouds vid is awasome. Im guessing the equiptment for long distance must cost more that i want to spend. But that excites me more that the other platforms.

Untill I figure what I want next, I'll keep crashing

6. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Aloha from Canada. You can take this hobby as far as you want, but you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun. It's actually pretty easy to build a decent FPV racer for around $200

Rick M likes this.
  7. Gyro Doctor

Gyro Doctor Electronics Tech for over 45 years

Welcome aboard :)

8. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Hey brah.............you talking about my "chasing cows" vid??? Anyway, welcome aboard. If that's my vid........that was done with a Syma X8HG. The setup for that cost $109 Ready To Fly.....complete! The costs in this hobby are kinda extreme.........you can get quads from $16 up to $1600 and on up. And the types of quads varies as well.............rock solid Aerial Photography platforms(RTF or DIY) to small racers that will reach speeds in excess of 100mph. The main thing................have fun....................

(edit to add)...........Big Island mo' bettah, brah!

9. Rick M

Rick M Absent-minded professor

If you are heading towards FPV, I'd suggest you start with something like a FlySky i6x radio, a compatible BNF brushed micro FPV quad, and an affordable pair of goggles. You can get in for under $200 with extra batteries if you shop, and the Tx and goggles will work with your next step up. Ren is right, you can build a decent FPV racer for <$200, but you still need batteries, radio, goggles.... The $90-150 you spend on a FlySky transmitter and goggles will work with your next quad. And you can move up to a $200+ transmitter if/when you want/need to.

Jackson likes this.
  10. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Mahalo brah, you right about big island, Honolulu keeps getting worst.
    This is the vid holtneil shared, not sure who's the op. Is it yours?

Long distance would be awesome especially if I don't have to lay down $1000+ on a mavic
    Those racers are insane, love the sound they make.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  11. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Thanks rick, I'm definitely thinking of a radio but haven't decided which way to go yet. I like racers and long distance fliers. I was looking at this, seems popular, affordable and comes with a flysky radio. https://m.banggood.com/Eachine-Wiza...FlySky-I6-RTF-p-1077100.html?rmmds=categories
    Would be ideal to have a radio that works with multiple quads. I don't know how to tell which transmitters work with which recievers.
    Been having fun learning on a Blade Inductrix indoors.
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/drone/ready-to-fly-15086--1/inductrix-rtf-blh8700
    The Dromida Vista is kinda shity, no power, the high performance motors don't make a difference.
    https://www.dromida.com/drones/dide04xx-vista-fpv/index.php
    Just gonna use it till I get better or kill it. Hopefully I'll decide what to get next by then. Haven't been able to fly outside much, it's been windy and rainy.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

The 10+ channel FS-i6X has 20 unique models available, and the the X6B receiver is compatible with anything. All for $50.
    It will also do regular SBus too.

13. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Thanks Jackson, that's good to know.
    Still learning how to fly but looking at other quads. Lots of cool stuff available. Don't know squat about radios and receivers. Channels and bus is French to me. Know of any sites where I can educate myself?

14. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Hey RENOV8R, I like your avatar, reminds me of snoopy. Because of this forum, I've discovered some cool looking racers, like you said under $200. Makes me want to practice more so I'll be able to handle one of those babys.

15. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

Thanks gyro, read one of your posts somewhere about soldering.. Very impressive electronics background.

Gyro Doctor likes this.
  16. dragger201

dragger201 If it ain't broke, don't fix it??? You kidding?

Naw, brah, not mine. That's beyond the X8HG ability. Here's my "cow" videos.

Davey59 likes this.
  17. Islandhog

Islandhog Active Member

That's a nice place, your vid quality is nice too. Didnt know quads can herd cows, thats cool.
    Found out through holtneil that the other video is from these guys that do crazy long distance stuff. They have other fps long distance vids on YouTube under dragon link.

dragger201 likes this.