4 in 1 ESC calibration problem.

Discussion in 'First Build' started by MikeFletch, Jun 14, 2018 at 7:09 PM.

1. MikeFletch

MikeFletch Member

Sorry to post in such a short time but these ESCs are quite irritating. To calibrate these ESCs I first used CleanFlight, setting throttle to max, hear the tune, then to min throttle. Using the software, I increase throttle to see if they're calibrated properly, I'm sure they are. So I plug the receiver into the FC then plug the battery in, hear the start up jingle and then a beep. One of the ESCs have somehow uncalibrated itself and won't start up at all with the other motor which start up fine. I've also tried calibration by receiver and both ahve the same outcome. Please help, Mike :)

2. RENOV8R

RENOV8R Well-Known Member

Change your protocol to DShot, no calibration required.

3. MikeFletch

MikeFletch Member

Hi thanks so much for the response, looking on Cleanflight, i can see that there are multiple DSHOTs to choose from, i was using PWM before as that is what my receiver uses. How do i know which one to choose from, there is 150, 300, 600 and 1200. Thanks :)

4. RENOV8R

Most 4 in 1 ESCs are fine on 600 unless they're 32 bit, then you can go with 1200. It doesn't matter if you're using PWM, PPM or sBus for your receiver, it doesn't influence DShot, which is the signal between the flight controller and the ESCs

5. MikeFletch

MikeFletch Member

I set up the board with the DSHOT600 ESC protocol but when I start the quad up the motors still beep as if they need to be calibrated. Pls help

6. mozquito1

mozquito1 Well-Known Member

Multushot & is faster than dshot & better IMO. Esc calibration takes 2 seconds on my phone. Are all throttle ranges the same on all esc's in blheli.

7. MikeFletch

MikeFletch Member

thanks for the reply mozquito. im not sure how to calibrate Multishots and DSHOT will not work - the motors just carry on beeping. Not sure how to use BLHeli either so im a bit stuck here. Thanks for your help though :)

8. mozquito1

In blheli, with props off & battery plugged in. Click connect then Read setup.
    4 esc cards should come up. Then click flash all. 2 boxes @ top left will show up.
    Don't change the top one which is normally CH-15 or something.
    Just the version under it, then a list of protocols will show up. Now don't quote me on this but I think anything above 16.43 is dshot. It will say next to it anyway. I may need to update my blheli.

9. mozquito1

Then once chosen Flash all job done.
    Just make sure what it matches in configuration tab aswell.

10. MikeFletch

MikeFletch Member

So using the BLHeli Configurator, ive read all four of my ESCs, then clicked flash all, at this point, a tab opens saying target. I know ive got Afro 20A but do not know what mode or version to flash to the ESCs.

11. RENOV8R

When you read setup, it shows firmware and which version at the top of each box ex: GH-15 (firmware) 16.3 (version)
    BLHeli-configurator.png