1800mah nano 60-120c burst overkill?

Discussion in 'Mini Quads & Racing' started by tylorwashere, Jan 15, 2016.

1. tylorwashere

tylorwashere Well-Known Member

Title says it all, these are one type of battery my dad produces for rc cars/trucks, I still have to get an exact weight from him but I can't imagine they are light.

Are the Nano-tech 1.3 45-90 the better choice?

2. ringolong

ringolong Well-Known Member

What aircraft would this be for?

3. tylorwashere

Oh sorry, it was late lol, a 250 quad running 2204 2300 kv multistars with afro 12 amp escs

4. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

Yes. Going by your 12A ESC 1800Mah @ 40C = ~18A/motor.

5. southern guy

southern guy New Member

don't believe the inflated C ratings

6. Jackson

Jackson USA member at large

You calling his dad a liar?

RGJameson likes this.
  7. GJH105775

GJH105775 Avid Linux User, and U.S. Air Force 1C631 @ 2ROPS Moderator

No it is not really too high (2300 kv motors don't go on a slow camera quad so I assume you are going to be doing faster harder flight). I had a problem with 40C- 80C, 1400mAh batteries sagging on a punchout when they were a bit low, and causing my voltage to drop (which could cause loss of video, LVC kicking in, or the FCB to turn off and disarm).

I'm running 2300kv Multistar elite motors, on 15amp Bheli ESCs on 5'' props, and moving to 6'' makes it happen on full battery anywhere near full throttle. I know that I'm not drawing near my burst rating when this happens had am getting a better brand of battery so that I can run some 6'' props. The point is that if the C rating is too high the only problem you might have is it lasting longer and weight.
    I suggest the Graphene from HK, or something that Tattu makes. Those are generally great higher performance batteries.

8. GJH105775

Well some companies 'inflate' tehir C ratings just by having lower standards. If they decide that the battery can be safely used with a 25% voltage drop then so be it. But that does not mean higher C ratings don't exist. Many good companies have higher than advertised capacity and the voltage drop at their C rating is very minimal. Test them with whatever tools you have, or fly them. You can tell the difference in how the battery voltage drops (more linear or closer to exponential drop) toward the end. You can also tell teh difference when you speed your motors up to counteract a turn and your video feed cuts out, or your ESCs turn off (BTW never fly with LVC enabled if possible) and leave you tumbling toward the ground.

9. tylorwashere

I've learned so much since posting this in January lol, I feel like a scrub.

10. GJH105775

Hahaha, amazing how much this hobby can teach you in a couple months.